Following the outbreak of the COVID-19 pandemic, we have seen a huge surge in demand for our jigsaw puzzles and board games as people are searching for pastimes that provide a digital detox and occupy the mind during isolation.
“None of us could have foreseen the current situation nor did we expect that the humble jigsaw would bring so much joy to people during this difficult time,” states Kate Gibson, Managing Director. “We feel honoured to be able to supply pastimes that make isolation a little easier and feel it’s our duty to give back to those who are at risk, vulnerable and are facing months of quarantine.”
We will be donating all profits* made during lockdown from our Piecing Together jigsaw puzzle collection to Samaritans. The charity was selected because they provide emotional support to anyone who is in distress, struggling to cope, or at risk of suicide. The COVID crisis is the biggest challenge they have ever faced, so the donation will help them continue to provide aid even after the coronavirus pandemic.
The Piecing Together Collection was specifically designed for the elderly or those with sight difficulties or living with dementia. The extra-large pieces and nostalgic artwork evoke fond memories from years gone by, sparking reminiscence and conversations with loved ones. The jigsaws can be purchased from our website and other online puzzle retailers.
We are also supporting other charities and organisations who are working tirelessly to support those in need by:
- Teaming up with Age UK and donating hundreds of jigsaw puzzles to care homes and residential facilities around the country
- Donating puzzles and games to children’s charity Stripey Stork and Elmore Community Services.
- Providing extra-large piece puzzles to Elm House Care Home, Friendship at Home and Dementia Concern - organisations who all care for the elderly who are most at-risk.
- Adding a donation button to our website, to encourage customers to donate to either MIND, Samaritans or #FEEDNHS when they check out.
The team have already received a fantastic response from their beneficiaries:
Mary from Elm House Nursing Home:
“The residents are now confined to their rooms so having some puzzles the more able can do will really help them, as they are now isolated not only from family and friends but also from each other. Thank you so much, this will make a real difference.”
Tom Hayes, Chief Executive of Oxford-based charity Elmore Community Services states, “Elmore is continuing to support people with mental ill health and complex needs during this difficult time. Many of the vulnerable people we support are finding isolation and distancing challenging. That’s why this act of kindness from Gibsons is so timely and important. The donation of jigsaws and games will make a real difference to our clients. Not only will they be able to stay active, but because they are receiving the gifts as a donation, they will be so touched by the gesture and the generosity of Gibsons.”
* All profits from worldwide sales between March-June 2020 of the 10 jigsaws in our Piecing Together Collection will be donated to the Samaritans charity.